January 11th, 2013
It is crucial for consumers to take their time in selecting who will be performing their cosmetic procedure. Many places and individuals that are not qualified are performing outpatient procedures at a discounted rate, but with catastrophic results! To take precaution, patients should be familiar and educated on the three P’s of getting a cosmetic procedure done as safely as possible: Product, Practitioner, and Place.
1. Product – Do your homework! Double check that the product you are getting injected with is an FDA approved product for the particular area you are wanting injected. The FDA has approved certain products for injection into different regions of the face for cosmetic purposes, like Botox, Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, and Sculptra. There is no synthetic material that has been approved by the FDA for injection in the breasts so that is a red flag itself.
2. Practitioner - Know what type of practitioner to go to like a physician trained to do cosmetic procedures or his/her designee such as a doctor board-certified in plastic surgery. Many experienced plastic surgeons will have examples of before and after photos on previous patients that you can view. Always ask questions until you are comfortable and have established a relationship with your doctor.
3. Place - Don’t get injected in a place that you feel uncomfortable undergoing a procedure in such as a salon, mall, or private home. These are medical procedures and they should be performed in a medical office or medical facility due to its sanitary environment with additional resources at hand if needed.
For more information about Dr. Alexander’s credentials or to schedule your cosmetic procedure in Las Vegas, contact Dr. Alexander & Co. at 702-242-6776.
December 28th, 2012
The New Year 2013 is right around the corner. It is a time to reflect on the changes we want or need to make. Many Americans seem to make the same New Year resolutions each year. It is easy for many to lose focus on their goals even as little as a few weeks after the New Year. Get a fresh start this coming year! Try one of our easy beauty resolutions below for skin and health improvement, or a boost in self-confidence. Make this year the year you start a new habit you fall in love with!
- Wash your face every night
- Floss daily. Flossing will clean the other 35 percent your toothbrush misses.
- Change your moisturizer and/or make-up to one that has an SPF.
- Take a multivitamin every day.
- Correct your posture.
- Clean your makeup brushes weekly, since build-up can lead to breakouts or infections.
- Wear sunscreen on your face, neck and hands – even in the winter and on cloudy days.
- Perform a monthly breast exam in the shower.
- Start using an eye cream. It’s never too early or late to fight fine lines and wrinkles!
- Toss your pillowcases in the wash every week. Sweat and oils from your face and hair can cause breakouts.
- Eat more good-for-your-skin foods like salmon, almonds, and berries.
- Give yourself a time out now and then. With all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, we need to relax and bring our stress levels down–or else we end up wearing it. At the very least try and get the recommended 6-8 hours of sleep 5 days a week at minimum.
- Once a month try a new look – this one is fun and easy! Try a new hairstyle, makeup application, fashion get-up or nail polish that you normally would never do. Knowing that you can pull off more trends than you thought will be a good boost in self-esteem.
Dr. Alexander & Co. would love for you to share any beauty resolutions that have worked for you. Visit our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DrGeorgeJAlexander , like us and share!! For more information about Las Vegas plastic surgeon, Dr. Alexander, contact us at 702-242-6776.
December 14th, 2012
Breast implants do not have an expiration date. Regardless of if you selected saline or silicone implants, breast implants are not lifetime devices. It is likely you will need to have your implants replaced at some point down the line. Exactly when they will need to be replaced differs from patient to patient.
The most common reason for implant replacement is due to an implant leak or rupture. It is typically
easier for women with saline implants to identify an implant leak because they often notice a change
in appearance or decrease in volume to one or both breasts. The silicone implants that are currently
approved by the FDA are a cohesive gel and it is harder to tell when there is a rupture. To rule out a
silent rupture, the FDA recommends MRI screening every two years beginning three years after surgery.
Some women seek breast implant exchange to increase or decrease implant size, or switch from saline
to silicone. Board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Alexander, has over a decade of experience with the
removal and replacement of breast implants. Contact Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon Dr. Alexander & Co. at 702-242-6776 to schedule your breast consultation appointment.
November 30th, 2012
Breast beauty varies in many ways depending on someone’s particular taste. (Not all men like big breasts!) The cup size is not always as big of an issue as most women think when compared to fullness and roundness. However, women with any breast size need to pay attention in keeping their breasts’ elasticity as well, because almost all breasts can sag. If you want to maintain beautiful and youthful breasts there are definite dos and don’ts to follow – check out our recommendations!
* Hydrate: Drinking plenty of water daily will help your skin to stay young and vibrant.
* Avoid harmful UV rays: Too much sun can dry your skin, which will cause your derma to become slack and sag. Anytime your skin is exposed to sun (or a tanning bed) you are at risk for premature aging.
* Support: Wearing proper bras are always important for keeping your breasts perky in the long run. Make sure you are using the correct bra for the different activities you do. It is easy to wear a bra incorrectly. We recommend getting properly fitted.
* Moisturize regularly: Similar to moisturizing the face, moisturizing the breasts seems to have an obvious advantage for breast appearance, causing fewer wrinkles.
* Avoid yo-yo diets. Loosing too much weight at once will affect your breasts. If you lose weight suddenly, most notice the first place they lose weight is from the breasts, leaving your skin stretched. Instead, try to follow a healthy diet and shed pounds slower. Keep strengthening your upper body to keep the shape and perkiness of your breasts. Other factors like higher body mass index (BMI) and larger bra and cup sizes also contribute to accelerated breast aging.
* Foods that we should eat more for breast health: Increasing soy foods is very good for breast health. Studies reveal that if you eat two meals containing soy foods, such as tofu, soy milk, etc., it will be very beneficial for breast health.
*Avoid: Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption as those both cause a constriction of oxygen and blood flood and can age the skin and be harmful to your overall health.
Still looking for a solution to perk or plump those breasts? Come meet Las Vegas breast surgeon, Dr. Alexander for a breast consultation. He is an experienced plastic surgeon and specializes in breast procedures such as breast augmentation, lift and reduction. Contact Dr. Alexander & Co. today to schedule your appointment! 702-242-6776.
November 16th, 2012
There are many breast implant options such as style, type, texture, and size to chose from when considering breast augmentation. When researching online, the type of implant option mentioned the least is the implant profile. The profile is what determines how far the implant projects from your chest wall. Selecting a profile can be complicated as it not only based on your desired look but also the size of your current breasts and your overall body shape. At your consultation appointment, Dr. Alexander will be able to take measurements and make specific recommendations as to which profile is right for you.
There are four implant profile types: low, moderate, moderate plus and high profile. Below is a short description of the profiles.
Low Profile Implants: Low profile implants project the least amount. This type of profile is least often used in Dr. Alexander’s practice.
Moderate Profile Implants: The moderate profile implants usually have a wider base with a less projection when compared to the high profile implants. This implant is commonly used on a patient with a wider chest frame or is looking to fill up the breast envelope and achieve more upper pole fullness.
Moderate Plus Profile Implants: The moderate plus profile offers more forward projection than the moderate profile, but less projection than high profile implants.
High Profile Implants: High profile implants offer the most forward projection out of all of the profile types. High profile breast implants are typically recommended to women who have narrow chests. As an added benefit, high profile implants are the least prone to rippling. However, this would not be the only reason to select this implant
Advances in breast implant products allow plastic surgeons to choose the implant size and projection that will best suit the patient’s body type and provide the most natural looking result. If you are interested in breast augmentation, contact Las Vegas board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Alexander. They will help you determine which profile is right for you as well as explain the other implant options available.
November 10th, 2012
Cosmetic plastic surgery and bariatric surgery have a similar goal. Both procedures include making enhancements to one’s appearance and improve self-esteem. A patient who undergoes bariatric surgery typically loses a large amount of weight. Many patients feel good about the change in their weight, but are not very pleased with their new figure. It is recommended by Dr. Alexander for a patient to be within 15 to 20 pounds within their ideal weight goal before performing any body contouring, or reduction procedures. Per that recommendation, if you were considering both a breast reduction and a bariatric procedure, he would probably suggest the bariatric surgery first (individual circumstances vary). A new published study also reveals that the order in which these two surgeries are performed may improve the end result.
Researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center analyzed how satisfied 29 obese women were with their breast appearance. Of those women, 15 underwent breast reduction surgery before massive weight loss and 14 did not have breast reduction surgery before losing a lot of weight. All of the women who underwent breast reduction surgery thought their breasts looked better after the breast reduction procedure. However, the women who lost weight due to bariatric surgery or other methods after breast surgery found that their breasts changed in shape or decreased further in size and desired further enhancement. This is usually due to the decrease fat that naturally lives in the breast area.
An individual may not necessarily need bariatric surgery in order to be a candidate for breast reduction. A woman may be interested in a breast reduction if she experiences heavy / pendulous breasts, asymmetry, shoulder grooving, neck or back pain. Some doctors say that in some cases, women might undergo breast reduction surgery before losing weight in order to ease back, neck and shoulder pain that is often related with large breasts and to aid in their weight loss goals by increasing their ability to exercise.
Breast reduction surgery can improve the size and shape of the breasts. Visit Las Vegas board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. George Alexander, for a consultation appointment to find out what procedures are best for you. Contact Dr. Alexander & Co. at 702-242-6776.
October 19th, 2012
There are many options a patient may have when selecting breast implants such as shape, texture, placement, and size. During a consultation appointment with Las Vegas Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Alexander, a patient will be measured and provided with specific surgery recommendations based on her anatomy. Many patients also bring in photos of the look they are trying to achieve from magazines or other media publications, but now you can bring in a photo of what your breasts MAY look like after surgery. There is a fun new tool called the New You Visualizer by Love your Look (Mentor) you may want to try!
Mentor is a leading manufacturer for breast implants. The New You Visualizer helps create personalized before and after images to help visualize the new you with Mentor implants! This visualizer is simple and easy to use. You upload a photo of yourself, make your desired adjustments and save your results. You can share your results with friends, family members, and your plastic surgeon. Click here to get started!
Although actual results may vary, we find that photos serve as a good communication tool between the patient and Dr. Alexander when discussing breast augmentation. Contact Dr. Alexander & Co. at 702-242-6776 or email@example.com if you are interested in breast augmentation!
October 12th, 2012
Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM), also referred to in America as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM), is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.
On Saturday, October 5, 2012, Dr. Alexander & Co., along with their team, contributed their part of Breast Cancer Awareness by participating in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. This event took place at the JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort and Spa at Summerlin.
What can I do to reduce my risk of breast cancer?
- Limit alcohol – The more alcohol you drink, the greater your risk of developing breast cancer.
- Control your weight – Being overweight or obese increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Get plenty of physical activity – Being physically active can help you maintain a healthy weight, which, in turn, helps prevent breast cancer.
- Breast-feed – Breast-feeding may also play a role in breast cancer prevention.
- Discontinue hormone therapy – If you’re taking hormone therapy for menopausal symptoms, ask your doctor about other options. You may be able to manage your symptoms with non-hormonal therapies, such as physical activity.
- Avoid exposure to environmental pollution – Some research suggests a link between breast cancer and exposure to the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons found in vehicle exhaust and air
September 21st, 2012
Recovering from breast surgery sounds complicated to many patients, but it is actually very straightforward. So here are five things to remember while your body is healing after breast augmentation, breast lift (mastopexy), breast reduction or breast reconstruction surgery:
1) Wearing Bras or Surgical Dressing after Breast Surgery: At the end of your breast augmentation procedure, Dr. Alexander may place you in a comfortable surgical garment. This bra is important to wear for post surgical swelling and to maximize your end result. Women who undergo a lift or reduction are most likely not to be placed in a garment. Those procedures are more extensive and it is best not to constrict any blood flow to the area. Loose clothing is preferred. Be sure to follow all post op guidelines set by Dr. Alexander for the best recovery and results.
2) Breast Swelling: After your breast operation, you can expect to have post-operative swelling within the breast tissues. Swelling can be unpredictable and certainly varies from patient to patient, but a small amount of swelling is normal. Post-operative swelling is more prominent during the first 24 to 48 hours after your operation. Swelling tends to subside gradually, and can take several weeks to resolve completely. If you are experiencing a large amount of swelling contact Dr. Alexander & Co. right away!
3) Breast Drains: Occasionally Dr. Alexander will place surgical drains during breast reduction, breast revision or breast lift surgery. Drains are rarely placed during primary breast augmentation. Surgical drains in breast surgery can stay in for one day or for several weeks. Drains help remove excess fluid that accumulates and actually alleviates discomfort that you may experience if you did not have them in place. You will be instructed on proper drain care by Dr. Alexander and his staff.
4) Breast Settling: After breast augmentation, breast implants will tend to “ride high.” This is normal. Your breast implants will “drop into position” over about a four to six week period. Mastopexy and Breast Reduction patients can expect some adjustments in the position as well. It takes about 1 full year to see final results.
5) Scar Management: All breast surgery requires some type of incision; all incisions turn into scars. It is important to realize that scars take about one full year to completely heal, flatten and fade. It is normal for scars to appear their thickest and reddest within the first 6 weeks after surgery. From that point on, scars will continue to remodel, and refine for one full year. As the scar tissue heals, so too will their appearance. However, there are a few options for helping out the process. There are some over the counter treatments that Dr. Alexander may recommend to help facilitate the healing process. It is best to get his approval and recommendation prior to starting any scar reduction treatment.
Interested in breast surgery? Contact Dr. Alexander & Co. to schedule a consultation appointment! 702-242-6776
September 7th, 2012
A: Based on your anatomy and tissue integrity, breast implants can be placed above or below the muscle. It is recommended that patients with implants that are placed below the muscle to eliminate or reduce chest exercises post breast augmentation for the most aesthetic results. When you contract the muscle over time, it can compress the implant away from the midline and create a space in the cleavage area. Since most women appreciate the cleavage enhancement implants provide, the implant drift outwards is usually something women dislike. There are exercises that work out multiple muscles that include the chest muscle which is ok as long as the chest muscle is not the primary muscle being toned.
Dr. Alexander has found that most of his athletic Las Vegas patients have been successful changing their
workout routine to consist of lighter weights and higher repetition to work around this new work out
restriction. Also, performing the breast massage as recommended will also keep the space around the
implant generous that may help prevent the implants from contracting and drifting.
If you are someone that routinely works out and are interested in breast implants, but afraid of how this
may affect your lifestyle, speak with a board certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Alexander who can explain
the pro’s and con’s of breast surgery and the options you have. Everyone at Dr. Alexander & Co. is very
friendly and helpful. Call 702-242-6776 to schedule your consultation appointment!
Click here for upper body toning recommendations and video’s provided by WebMD.